Monday, June 9, 2014

I Want and Need Something Real in God and People

It's summer time, and I have impressed on our teens and young adults that meet on Weds. nights, at Gulf Coast Church in North Port, to take the summer and go deeper in God. We have a lot of things we can pour ourselves into. Some of  things profit little or nothing, others provide a great gain and reward. But even in this context, what we immerse ourselves into this summer is a thermometer or an indicator or whose house and or type of house we are building. Which Kingdom is more important to you? How do you know for sure if what you say is really true? Being a kingdom believer and follower of Jesus requires radical living.

Now I am not directing you to go quit your summer job to go deeper. It's something less radical, but radical nevertheless. I will use my me and Don as examples, since we began this process a few months back in anticipation of change and going deeper in God. I did start the experiment early because I wanted to prove that it could be done working at the high school full-time teaching, being a worship leader and youth-pastor. That I could still find time and make time for God. Here is what we did.

Me:
1. Less sleep time- I get up and walk with God. I pray and  listen to worship music, despite people walking around me (lol). I listen to the Daily Audio Bible. Sometimes I choose to read and listen to the Daily Audio Bible before I walk and then just pray and praise the whole time. The result is more peace, more head and heart knowledge of God, and more joy. These gains ground me in the truth (God) and not the worlds thinking. This concentration on truth and love, while seeking God actually helps me stand more, since I am putting on the Armor of God (Ephesians 6: 10-18). This equates to more strength! I need that. Don't you?

2. Less TV when I go to bed; instead,I  turn on worship music or Daily Audio Bible for a replay from the AM. The results are the same; but they are still great spiritual gains! I go to bed thinking about God, praying for the people that need it etc. I go to bed thinking and praying on meaningful things. My heart and spirit are full of good stuff. This makes a difference because even if I can't sleep, I can't cast my cares and worries to Him. I don't spend the night finding people on Facebook to make me feel better, though I understand there is a time for that (I guess). God never lets me down. Don't you need a real friend like that?


Don:
1. Less TV when I go to bed; instead, he listens to the Daily Audio Bible or worship music with me.
2. Less Candy Crush time; instead, he listens to the Daily Audio Bible or worship music with me. The results are the same; I do see inner growth spilling out in some of his new love actions towards me. You see if we don't see a transformation happening, we need to go back and see if we got side tracked somewhere. People should be noticing that you are different. How would you know? People would say something to you. If not, you have not really known Jesus very long and or deeply. #hardcoldfacts

Here is your challenge:
Replace or lessen something that you do a lot of with more God time, such as worldly music, Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Pinterest  XBOX, Netflix, Sleep, Youtube, Reading books etc. fascinations/ obsessions. More God time means taking the time to study, read, and memorize scripture.  More God time means turning on worship music and practicing being obedient, learning to ACTIVELY worship God. More quiet time means finding a quiet a place to let God speak to you.

Why would you want to do ANY  of the above? You would because when you hide God's Word in your heart, it's there to remind you of the truth. The Holy Spirit tells you what to do in certain situations, instead of relying on your own thinking which will lead to destruction.  Finally, it can save you from dangerous situations, like listening to the spirit of death telling you that you are worth nothing and are going nowhere. When Jeremiah 29:11 comes into your mind, God is telling you that you are hearing a lie. He is giving you the truth, and He is fighting for your life, by telling you that you have a hope and that He has a plan for your future. Sometimes this is hard to see with natural eyes. You think that there is no hope. When you keep trying to get a job or get money for college and there seems like there is no possible way in sight, you must keep your eyes on God and turn to the truth. The truth is you will find work eventually and if school is a desire, you will find help too. You may have to do a lot of "leg" work, but that's the truth. This is just one example of why you would want to hide God's word in your heart. Every person has a plan for their life. And just think how many lives and souls you could help save by sharing this truth with someone. Now that's radical!

But there is more about this than just the above. Going deeper in God is getting to know God. We are so naive when it comes to knowing what Love is or how to love. God instructs us to be His first love, since He first loved us. Why not? In Revelations, Jesus tells the Church of Corinthian to return back to their first Love: Him (Revelation 2:4). If you ever want to have a real fruitful and happy relationship with people, you MUST lay the proper groundwork in God. Once you have done that and you keep it up, then you are ready to walk in Godly love.  If you want to know what Love is.... read 2nd Corinthians 13: 4-7:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres (Biblegateway.com).

It's not the kinda love you are really looking for many of you. This kinda love that some desire is shallow and transient. It's the kinda fantasy love you see in the movies. Let me tell you when two single people wake up in the morning in the same bed together, they don't look like a perfect air-brushed model, they have bad breath, and they may not be a morning person. Yet, Hollywood glorifies this and attempts to trick you. Beyond the stinky wakeup picture, there is the idea that the people who are in the bed are morally committed people because the appear to nice and attractive, but most often follow the story line and deceit and lies enter in.  You don't really  want the fly-by-night girl or guy who looks inviting and promising, but in the end, is another dead-end! You really want a committed person who WILL love you in sickness and health until death do your part. YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO FIND THIS LOVE IF YOU DON'T FIND IT AND SEE IT IN GOD FIRST. There is no dead-end with God and if you have that place right (1st place), the rest will fall into place. Seek first the kingdom of God and all of these things will be added to you (Matthew 6:33). YOU WILL ALSO BEGIN TO IDENTIFY PEOPLE WHO LIKE-MINDED/ SPIRIT-MINDED IF YOU SEEK GOD FIRST. This will end some of your own personal drama. You will desire to know these people by the spirit, putting your personal wants and desires for a relationship on hold.


So as I write from my heart and inspiration from the Holy Spirit, what do you do  a lot of that you could replace with  building the Kingdom of God in you more? Do you see the logic behind spending time with God? If you have, then your eyes have been opened Praise God! Feel free to message me and tell me what is on your heart, how I can pray for you, and or support you in this endeavor. You need to be accountable to someone. Won't you go to the next level.

Illy Reich
Youth Pastor @2800 Pan American Blvd. North Port, Fl.
Facebook Name: Illy Reich

*I took this picture from Google imags. I have no idea who Kyle Butt is; I just used it for the question to get you thinking!

No comments: