Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 23: Psalm 23- What Do You Really Need?

Good Day,

Psalm 23's Thoughts to Ponder:
This one of my favorite Psalms because it brings me such comfort, and it keeps me focused when I am having a pity party. Come on. We all have them from time to time. Verse one says, “I don’t need a thing.” The truth is we don’t need much of anything; it’s the “wants” we cry out for, but God always takes care of our basic needs. Even when we were losing our house, He prepared a place for us to go to and live. When I get in my mind that I have to have an IPAD, for example, I am reminded rather quickly that I do have all of the materials I need to get my job done at church and at school. When I think I need a new cell phone, I realize it’s a want because mine still works. I am learning to thank God for providing for me and taking care of me. This is a big perspective change. I can do more for the kingdom of God with the dollars I have left, if any. Some people put their money in trips, their homes, and their cars. I choose to sow in the kingdom. I trust God to meet my needs, and He always does. He will do the same for you too!
It also says, “True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction.” (v1-3). Some of you say you are so tired and you have not had time to catch your breath. Did you take the time to come into His presence and just lie at His feet, pray, rest, soak, and catch your breath?
I also often hear teens saying, “I don’t know what to do.” But did you take the time to ask God for help? It says, “True to your word.” (v1). But if we never go to the well for water, we will never get the drink we need. I encourage you to ponder on this thought. God is always there. He can give us such a peace in the midst of any storm; He can lead us to lush meadows (v2). We have to be lead there and be willing to go there. We need to learn to go there in the good times and not just in the crisises. Then we won't be caught of guard and find ourselves in sefl-induced trials.
Verse four tells us that God is with us through the thick and thin and in the darkness. He is not like most of friends who are there when the good times are rolling. When thunder clouds come in, most of our friends run and leave us. God never leaves us! We don’t ever have to fear. I love the photo on this blog. The cat is lightly prancing through water as she passes the pack of dogs. One, cats don’t like water, but it is walking on the alternative path given, as God planned an escape. Two, it is not frozen, nor is it running. It is facing the challenge or trial at hand. We can do the same with God!
Verse five tells us that if we wait and trust God, that He will defend us and soak us with blessings. Our enemies will lament when they see the blessings of God in our life and wish it was them. Praise God, this may lead them to Christ too! This trial you are facing God can use it for His glory. 
Why do you find yourself in these trials? This is a questiom every Christian ask. The Bible tells us not to think that it is odd, that they are sure to come (1 Peter 4:12).  Sometimes we are found in them because of ignorance, choice, and or God’s sovereignty. I’ll never know the answer, but my prayer is always the same in these situations. One, what is going on that I need to see and change? Two, what are You trying to show me? Three, what do I need to do right now? Four, help me do your will in this situation and not my own. I have to give my trials over to the Lord, even if I feel like running.

Verse six tells us that “Your beauty and love chases after me.” Even when we run or hide for a bit, His beauty and love chases after us. That’s amazing. He loves us so much that His love and mercy pursues us. I revel in God’s love. It’s relentless! He always goes after His sheep if they are lost or get off track. For this reason, I give Him all of the praise. Will you do the same right now? What are you thankful? How has God met your needs?

Psalm 23

 1-3 God, my shepherd! I don't need a thing.
   You have bedded me down in lush meadows,
      you find me quiet pools to drink from.
   True to your word,
      you let me catch my breath
      and send me in the right direction.

 4 Even when the way goes through
      Death Valley,
   I'm not afraid
      when you walk at my side.
   Your trusty shepherd's crook
      makes me feel secure.

 5 You serve me a six-course dinner
      right in front of my enemies.
   You revive my drooping head;
      my cup brims with blessing.

 6 Your beauty and love chase after me
      every day of my life.
   I'm back home in the house of God
      for the rest of my life.

Please take the time to reflect and comment:
When you go to comment, you can choose anonymous and then sign your name at the end of you post, or you can set up a Google account. The first choice is easier! I recommend that you work in Word or Word Pad first; then copy and paste it in here. Feel free to email me @ illyguana@hotmail.com with any questions you still have or concerns. You can also send me a message in FB to Illy Reich!

No comments: