Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day Three: Psalm Three

Good Morning,

Psalm 3 is like a refreshing summer sea breeze on a sizzling and sun-drenched southwest Florida afternoon. Take in this God inspired zephyr (gentle wind) and find hope as we study Psalm 3. Though David was running from his son Absalom when he wrote this, focus on the self-assurance David had in God. The Fire Bible tells us that “though God’s people (like David) will experience hardship and opposition, they can count on God with a confidence that He (God) will take action on their (Your) behalf, while fulfilling His (God’s) perfect purposes” (901). We can find rest, deliverance, and blessing in Him.

Psalm 3 The Message
 1-2 God! Look! Enemies past counting! Enemies sprouting like mushrooms,
   Mobs of them all around me, roaring their mockery:
   "Hah! No help for him from God!"

 3-4 But you, God, shield me on all sides;
   You ground my feet, you lift my head high;
   With all my might I shout up to God,
   His answers thunder from the holy mountain.

 5-6 I stretch myself out. I sleep.
   Then I'm up again—rested, tall and steady,
   Fearless before the enemy mobs
   Coming at me from all sides.

 7 Up, God! My God, help me!
   Slap their faces,
   First this cheek, then the other,
   Your fist hard in their teeth!

 8 Real help comes from God.
   Your blessing clothes your people!

Psalm 3  Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

A song of David written during the time he was running from his son Absalom.

LORD, I have so many enemies.
    So many people have turned against me.
They say to themselves, “God will not rescue him!”
Selah
But you, LORD, protect me.
    You bring me honor;
    you give me hope.
I will pray to the LORD,
    and he will answer me from his holy mountain.
Selah
I can lie down to rest and know that I will wake up,
    because the LORD covers and protects me.
So I will not be afraid of my enemies,
    even if thousands of them surround me.
LORD, get up! [a]
    My God, come rescue me!
If you hit my enemies on the cheek,
    you will break all their teeth.
8 LORD, the victory [b] is yours!
    You are so good to your people.
Selah

Questions to ponder:

1.     Considering verses one through six, do you think the enemies that David is talking about could be likened to the drama and slander you may face in your life (FB, texting, school, etc)?

2.     Have you ever felt like you had to run from a situation or retaliate back on FB etc? Why does David vent to God, and what can we learn from David’s actions to do so? Are you more like David, or do you have room to grow?

3.     In verses three and four, David writes of hope.  What does he hope in?

4.     Where does David’s confidence lie? In himself or God’s ability to deliver him? What can you learn from this?

5.     Has God ever gotten you out of a pickle that delivered you from, or have you walked with God through a difficult situation to the end and still seen that He works all things out together for good? Is this God working on your behalf, taking action for you, while still fulfilling His perfect purposes?

6.     Is Psalm 3 relevant for today’s Christian? If so, why?

Reflection and comment:

When you go to comment, you can choose anonymous and then sign your name at the end of you post, or you can set up a Google account. The first choice is easier! I recommend that you work in Word or WordPad first; then copy and paste it in here.
 So what is significant for you in today’s Psalm? There are so many things, but I like that God is the lifter of my head (verses 3-4 Message). No matter what my confidence is in Him; He is the one that keeps me going. When I find myself down and out, He lifts my head. Thank you Jesus!

No comments: