Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day Four: Psalm Four

Good Morning,

I hope to see you in church today. Make it a priority. Both Weds. and Sun. services are for you! Ok, back to Psalm 4, which is a Psalm that gives more hope to God’s people; it is one of David’s nighttime prayers. We will learn about how David handled his nighttime stress through prayer and peace, as well pertinent lifestyle choices that He made.

Have you ever wondered if God hears your prayers? I mean especially at night when no one is on FB to talk to and you feel like it is all coming down. Do you lie on your bed, talk to God, and then go to sleep resting that it will be ok, or do you stay up and freak out over it all? David made some lifestyle choices that kept him going in the right direction most of the time. He knew how to pray and walk with God and live a surrendered life as well! Having a personal relationship with God is key.

The Fire Bible tells us that those who have a personal relationship with God can hope to hear from God in times of distress (vv 5, 8), and they can hope in God. We must also put our trust in God (902). We should have a sincere desire for God’s help (vv 3, 6). Hebrews 10:22 says,22 Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water.” (NIV).

We should also live a lifestyle pleasing to Him (vv 3-5).  Doing this assures us that He is hearing our prayers. 1 John 3:21-22 says, If our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases Him.” (NIV). This is good stuff! right? I know what you are thinking. Can’t those who do not know God call on Him? Yes, of course they can, and if they are willing to surrender control of their lives over to God, He will answer them. However, I’d rather be in right standing with God from the get go and not have to plead my case.

Check out Psalm 4.

Psalm 4 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Evening Prayer of Trust in God.

[a]For the choir director; on stringed instruments. A Psalm of David.

Answer me when I call, O God [b]of my righteousness!
You have [c] relieved me in my distress;
Be gracious to me and hear my prayer.
O sons of men, how long will my [d]honor become a reproach?
How long will you love what is worthless and aim at deception? [e]Selah.
But know that the Lord has [f] set apart the godly man for Himself;
The Lord hears when I call to Him.
4 [g] Tremble, [h] and do not sin;
[i] Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.
Offer [j]the sacrifices of righteousness,
And trust in the Lord.
Many are saying, “ Who will show us any good?”
Lift up the light of Your countenance upon us, O Lord!
You have put gladness in my heart,
More than when their grain and new wine abound.
In peace I will [k]both lie down and sleep,
For You alone, O Lord, make me to dwell in safety.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%204&version=NASB

Psalm 4 NIV

For the director of music. With stringed instruments. A psalm of David.

Answer me when I call to you,
    my righteous God.
Give me relief from my distress;
    have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
How long will you people turn my glory into shame?
    How long will you love delusions and seek false gods[b]?[c]
Know that the Lord has set apart his faithful servant for himself;
    the Lord hears when I call to him.
Tremble and[d] do not sin;
    when you are on your beds,
    search your hearts and be silent.
Offer the sacrifices of the righteous
    and trust in the Lord.
Many, Lord, are asking, “Who will bring us prosperity?”
    Let the light of your face shine on us.
Fill my heart with joy
    when their grain and new wine abound.
In peace I will lie down and sleep,
    for you alone, Lord,
    make me dwell in safety.

Questions to ponder:

1.     Which type of person is sure to have their prayers heard?

2.     Are you more likely to run to FB or another person about your troubles instead of God? Why or why not?

3.     What can we learn about handling anxiety, distress, stress, etc from this Psalm (hint v 8)?

4.     Is Psalm 4 relevant for today’s Christian? If so, why?

5.     It’s day four. How are you doing? Are you in this for the long haul?

Reflection and comment:

When you go to comment, you can choose anonymous and then sign your name at the end of you post, or you can set up a Google account. The first choice is easier! I recommend that you work in Word or WordPad first; then copy and paste it in here.
 So what is pertinent for you in today’s Psalm? What if anything do you need to give over to God that you are worried about?

*Pg 902 in the Fire Bible was used a reference, as well as Biblegateway.com to write this entry.

No comments: