Friday, August 3, 2012

Day 59:Psalm 59: Are You Ready to Think Long?

Dear Friends,

I have been reading the book: The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears, by Mark Batterson, since November. I got to part three last night: “Think Long”.  As I am reading Psalm 59: 16, I am reminded of what I have been reading in that book. It's pretty neat that the two relate.

David was a man of both prayer and praise. It says in Psalms several times that he rises early to pray to God. With the exception of the few early morning people by choice, I don’t think it is easy for most to get up early and pray. In fact, one may rise early to drive to Bush Gardens or get to the beach early to catch some fish, but to get up early and pray and praise... Those are two obstacles one has to overcome.

David knew the secret, which was to start the day out right. As King Saul chased him and when David hunted King Saul, David still rose early, let his requests be known to God, and then he got up and walked in the things of God.  Though it took years for his battle with King Saul to end and be settled by God. David had other battles too. They all went to God; David knew how to pray long and think long. Though it was daily, he did it over time. Let’s face it. Most of us are not willing to give what it takes to see a trial through. We’d rather just put up with it and let it run its course, never truly learning or growing from it.

David was willing to “think long”, circle his dreams and requests in prayer, and invest in spending time with God. When I hear the phrase “think long”, I think “man this might take some time”. It’s not a positive thing, but I know it will build some character in me. People need to be disciplined in their prayer life. This is how one builds the character traits of perseverance and faithfulness, to name a few.

The problem is most of us are not willing to pray long over a span of time to see God work for someone else’s miracle, let alone ourselves. After reading last night, I felt convicted. I need to spend more time praying long, thinking long, and trusting long. Could it be that the fast-food nation has turned us into lazy and impatient people?  I mean come on; we don’t have to drive to the movie store to rent a movie or go to the music store to buy a CD unless we want to.  Most of us have everthing we need at the touch of our finger tips.

So, what do you think? Are you ready to “think long”? If God is tugging at your heart after reading this, recommit yourself to thinking and praying long. Set yourself up for success by making a plan of action like setting your alarm, posting a note to remind you, putting the Bible on your night stand, etc.

Psalm 59 -New International Version (NIV)

For the director of music. To the tune of “Do Not Destroy.” Of David. A miktam.[b] When Saul had sent men to watch David’s house in order to kill him.

Deliver me from my enemies, O God;
    be my fortress against those who are attacking me.
Deliver me from evildoers
    and save me from those who are after my blood.
See how they lie in wait for me!
    Fierce men conspire against me
    for no offense or sin of mine, Lord.
I have done no wrong, yet they are ready to attack me.
    Arise to help me; look on my plight!
You, Lord God Almighty,
    you who are the God of Israel,
rouse yourself to punish all the nations;
    show no mercy to wicked traitors.[c]
They return at evening,
    snarling like dogs,
    and prowl about the city.
See what they spew from their mouths —
    the words from their lips are sharp as swords,
    and they think, “Who can hear us?”
But you laugh at them, Lord;
    you scoff at all those nations.
You are my strength, I watch for you;
    you, God, are my fortress,
10     my God on whom I can rely.
God will go before me
    and will let me gloat over those who slander me.
11 But do not kill them, Lord our shield,[d]
    or my people will forget.
In your might uproot them
    and bring them down.
12 For the sins of their mouths,
    for the words of their lips,
    let them be caught in their pride.
For the curses and lies they utter,
13     consume them in your wrath,
    consume them till they are no more.
Then it will be known to the ends of the earth
    that God rules over Jacob.
14 They return at evening,
    snarling like dogs,
    and prowl about the city.
15 They wander about for food
    and howl if not satisfied.
16 But I will sing of your strength,
    in the morning I will sing of your love;
for you are my fortress,
    my refuge in times of trouble.
17 You are my strength, I sing praise to you;
    you, God, are my fortress,
    my God on whom I can rely.

Please take the time to reflect and comment:
When you go to comment, you can choose anonymous and then sign your name at the end of you post, or you can set up a Google account. The first choice is easier! I recommend that you work in Word or Word Pad first; then copy and paste it in here. Feel free to email me @ illyguana@hotmail.com with any questions you still have or concerns. You can also send me a message in FB to Illy Reich!

No comments: