Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 61: Psalm 61: Which End is Up?

Dear Readers,

Psalm 61 is like honey to my ears. Yes, it’s one of my favorites because I often pray and quote verse 2, “from the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” That’s right. When my hearts is overwhelmed, worn out, doesn’t know which end is up, and is drowning in sea of sorrow or whatever other issue that has me tuckered out, I pray these powerful words: Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.  I get on my knees or pray, while I am walking or running, and seek God. I trust He will lead me. Psalm 23:2 states that “He leads me by still waters”. Verse three says, “For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.” So, since I have seen God’s help and salvation before, I can go there again and again and receive assistance.

You have to be willing o be lead and guided to receive help. You can’t go your own way. God is not asking to be your co-pilot; He wants to be your pilot! Psalm 32: 8-9 says, “The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. Do not be like a senseless horse or mule that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control.” (NLT). Sometimes we find ourselves resisting God. When we see that this what we are doing, we need to repent and get centered again.

When that happens, I pray the same prayer: “from the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” Don’t ever forget that you have hope in God always. When you feel like you are at the end of your rope, you still have hope. Let Him lead and guide you.

 

Psalm 61[a]

For the director of music. With stringed instruments. Of David.

Hear my cry, O God;
    listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
    I call as my heart grows faint;
    lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
    a strong tower against the foe.
I long to dwell in your tent forever
    and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.[b]
For you, God, have heard my vows;
    you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.
Increase the days of the king’s life,
    his years for many generations.
May he be enthroned in God’s presence forever;
    appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him.
Then I will ever sing in praise of your name
    and fulfill my vows day after day.

Please take time to reflect about this Psalm. What is God speaking to you?  Feel free to email me @ illyguana@hotmail.com with any questions or concerns. You can also send me a message in FB to Illy Reich (Frontline-student Ministries)!

No comments: