Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 57: Psalm 57- Are You a Cave Singer or a Drama Queen?

Dear Friends,
Psalm 57 is a song written to the tune of “Do Not Destroy”, written for David as he is running from Saul. You and I wouldn't recongnize this tune because it was a long time ago.But it would be like you were making up a simple song to “Row, Row, Row Your Boat” to study for a vocabulary test; instead, the tone of this text is much more serious. The need that David is much greater than studying and passing an academic test. He is singing for his life.

Somehow I don’t see grown men with weapons writing songs of encouragement, while on the battle field or while running from a powerful enemy. I don’t see them singing or praying in a cave. Nevertheless, they did. They knew how to encourage themselves in the Lord, and they knew the power that singing and praising God had. They never once doubted that their sung prayers went to the open ears of God. When singing verse seven, “God, my heart feels secure, my heart feels secure”, they were singing peace into existence and welcoming the security that only comes from God. God wants us to remember and do the same things when we are faced with trails and circumstances beyond our control.
When we take our troubles to people, sometimes the effect is drama and no solution is found. There are some people who crave the emotions that go with stirring up stuff and causing trouble. These so called “drama queens”  have to drag up everything to draw attention to themselves, ruining whatever they can in their path, and then they quickly move to the next drastic social or personal  tornado they can muster up to keep it all going.  This does not follow the example set in scripture.

How about you? Are you a cave singer or a drama queen? When the going gets tough, the tough start praising. That’s right. Sing! Praise! Trust!

Psalm 57 -New International Reader's Version (NIRV)

For the director of music. A miktam of David when he had run away from Saul into the cave. To the tune of "Do Not Destroy."
 1 Show me your favor, God. Show me your favor.
      I go to you for safety.
   I will find safety in the shadow of your wings.
      There I will stay until the danger is gone.
 2 I cry out to God Most High.
      I cry out to God, and he carries out his plan for me.
 3 He answers from heaven and saves me.
      He puts to shame those who chase me.
                         Selah

      He shows me his love and his truth.
 4 Men who are like lions are all around me.
      I am lying down among hungry animals.
   Their teeth are like spears and arrows.
      Their tongues are like sharp swords.
 5 God, may you be honored above the heavens.
      Let your glory be over the whole earth.
 6 My enemies spread a net to catch me by the feet.
      I felt helpless.
   They dug a pit in my path.
      But they fell into it themselves.
                         Selah

 7 God, my heart feels secure.
      My heart feels secure.
      I will sing and make music to you.
 8 My spirit, wake up!
      Harp and lyre, wake up!
      I want to sing and make music before the sun rises.
 9 Lord, I will praise you among the nations.
      I will sing about you among the people of the earth.
 10 Great is your love. It reaches to the heavens.
      Your truth reaches to the skies.
 11 God, may you be honored above the heavens.
      Let your glory be over the whole earth.

Please take the time to reflect and comment:
When you go to comment, you can choose anonymous and then sign your name at the end of you post, or you can set up a Google account. The first choice is easier! I recommend that you work in Word or Word Pad first; then copy and paste it in here. Feel free to email me @ illyguana@hotmail.com with any questions you still have or concerns. You can also send me a message in FB to Illy Reich!

No comments: