Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Day 56: Psalm 56- What Can Mere Mortals Do to You?

Dear Friends,
Psalm 56 tells a story of someone who has been through a lot and seen God move on their behalf. Despite their circumstances, they have been preserved. That’s all good a fine, and you believe it for David, but you don’t whole heartedly believe it for you. I keep hearing an old song playing in my head: “I am counting on, I am counting on, I am counting on God.”

Verses 1-4 and 10-11 reference David’s  fearless attitude: “What can mere mortals do.” As I walk with God and grow, I see myself becoming more like David. For example, what can sickness or cancer do to someone who is saved? The truth is that they will experience a natural death, but their souls will live on. So, in the end, the devil doesn’t win. So, my mom does not have to fear death as she faces cancer because she knows that she will keep on living in heaven. She has this promise; we have this same promise. Yet, at times, we fear what mere mortals or things will do to us. We fear people talking about us, spreading rumors and lies, but the truth always comes out. We don't have to defend ourselves or worry. We can "now stroll leisurely with God in sunlit fields of grace (vv 12-13).

I relate to David because I feel like his prayers are mine sometimes. I have walked a mile in my shoes with Christ at my side. No, I did fight the Philistines or hunt and run from King Saul like David, but my confidence in God has strengthened and grown because of my willingness to come along side God. This is the example the scriptures set up for us to follow. This is why I am proud and thankful to praise God. He is always with me. I am counting on God; what about you?

Psalm 56 -The Message (MSG)

 1-4 Take my side, God—I'm getting kicked around, stomped on every day.
   Not a day goes by
      but somebody beats me up;
   They make it their duty
      to beat me up.
   When I get really afraid
      I come to you in trust.
   I'm proud to praise God;
      fearless now, I trust in God.
      What can mere mortals do?

 5-6 They don't let up—
      they smear my reputation
      and huddle to plot my collapse.
   They gang up,
      sneak together through the alleys
   To take me by surprise,
      wait their chance to get me.

 7 Pay them back in evil!
      Get angry, God!
      Down with these people!

 8 You've kept track of my every toss and turn
      through the sleepless nights,
   Each tear entered in your ledger,
      each ache written in your book.

 9 If my enemies run away,
      turn tail when I yell at them,
   Then I'll know
      that God is on my side.

 10-11 I'm proud to praise God,
      proud to praise God.
   Fearless now, I trust in God;
      what can mere mortals do to me?

 12-13 God, you did everything you promised,
      and I'm thanking you with all my heart.
   You pulled me from the brink of death,
      my feet from the cliff-edge of doom.
   Now I stroll at leisure with God
      in the sunlit fields of life.

Please take the time to reflect and comment:
When you go to comment, you can choose anonymous and then sign your name at the end of you post, or you can set up a Google account. The first choice is easier! I recommend that you work in Word or Word Pad first; then copy and paste it in here. Feel free to email me @ illyguana@hotmail.com with any questions you still have or concerns. You can also send me a message in FB to Illy Reich!

No comments: