Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 46: Psalm 46- The Sit-and-Spin Reality Vs Resting and Trusting In God

Dear Friends,
Psalm 46 is a song, and its message is both amazing and simple.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
I have been pondering, stewing, and simmering over this Psalm for almost 24 hours now in anticipation of what the Lord would have me to write for our readers today.
I have always been hyperactive, and if any of you have seen me preach, it is difficult for me to keep still. When I teach in my classroom, I rarely sit; in fact, I often pace. At lunch, I move around and work; I rarely sit because the demands of the day often run into my lunch, and well after the school bell rings. I am a very busy person, and if not careful and if I am too tied up in the hustle and bustle of the daily grind, I forget to be still or make myself still. I’m not talking about being still in front of the TV; I can do that if I am interested. Yet, over the years, I have learned to discipline myself and sit at the Father’s feet.

You may have heard of the famous Bible story of Mary and Martha (Luke 10: 38-42). There is a place for both doing work and resting. Nevertheless, both actions should be directed towards God. Jesus tells us that being at His feet is more important than the other. Recently my three year old nephew began consoling my sister as she is preparing for our mother to meet her maker. Whenever she begins to cry or get agitated, he tells her to “take times mama”; it will be ok.” Out of the mouth of babes right.

What else can we get caught up in that stirs our mind and hearts and get off focus from the “better part” as Jesus put it? Facebook, people’s issues and hurts, troubles, a favorite song or band, or even a significant other or wannabe significant other.  The point is there is always a river flowing in our heart, but which stream is it, and are we connecting with God to receive from this stream? Are we letting other people’s advice take the place of our heavenly Father’s stream, which we find in His word and in the still small voice? Like I said, sometimes we are literally on a sit-and-spin reality, but God tells us in Psalm 46 that He is our help, refuge, strength and ever-present help in trouble (v1). He tells us that we don’t have to fear when we feel like the floor is coming out from underneath us and we feel like we are going to drown (vv 2-3). He tells us of a river that will make us glad; it’s the holy place where Christ dwells (v4). In verse eight we see an invitation to “Come and see what the Lord has done.” That’s right! He calls us up, out, and over to look down on our situation and see that He is working. Verse seven tells us that “He is with us.”

This is so cool. Right? But if we never take the time to “be still” and go there in full trust, we will never experience the faith He wants us to have. Yes, I am writing about being in times of distress, but I am also referring to going to that place often and getting to know God and His river. There are so many things that we think satisfy us, but there “aint nothing like the real thing baby”. Though this is an old Coke jingle, it makes my point.

We can try to fill our emptiness or lack; we can try to keep a lid on troubles and hold them at by. But there is a better way. It’s to “be still” in the presence of God. Psalm 34:8 tells us “to taste and see that the Lord is good.”

Have you been to the fountain of life lately? Have you learned to take time to “be still and know that He is God”?

Psalm 46 -New International Version (NIV)

God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.[c]
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
    he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Come and see what the Lord has done,
    the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease
    to the ends of the earth.
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields[d] with fire.
10 He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”
11 The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Please take the time to reflect and comment:
When you go to comment, you can choose anonymous and then sign your name at the end of you post, or you can set up a Google account. The first choice is easier! I recommend that you work in Word or Word Pad first; then copy and paste it in here. Feel free to email me @ illyguana@hotmail.com with any questions you still have or concerns. You can also send me a message in FB to Illy Reich!

No comments: